This website is endorsed by the Lakefield Historical Society of Lakefield, Ontario, Canada. The objectives of the Lakefield Historical Society are to collect, preserve, exhibit and publish materials for the study of history, especially the history of Lakefield and citizens past and present thereof; and to maintain all the Lakefield Historical Society material within the bounds of Lakefield as defined.
The Lakefield War Memorial was erected by the people of Lakefield and District to perpetuate the memory of her sons who paid the supreme sacrifice in the service of their God and country. It was unveiled and dedicated to the village heroic dead on Sunday, June 1, 1930. The memorial was unveiled by Colonel Anderson, D.S.O. District Officer, commanding Military District No. 2.
Prayers of dedication were offered by Ven. Archdeacon J.C. Davidson chaplain of the 93rd Battalion in the presence of a very large representative gathering of citizens of Lakefield and District, also comrades from the Royal Canadian Legion, the clergy, militia, cadets and school children.
The Cross of Sacrifice memorial, in the form of a Celtic cross, is executed in Canadian gray granite bearing the names of those who died for the cause of freedom. The memorial faces West and is erected on the Town Hall Square. Underneath the cross of Sacrifice, which is chiseled in bold relief on the front of the Cenotaph, is inscribed, “To the Glory of God and the Memory of Those Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice 1914-1918.”