Hill, Stanley Vincent

HillSt1 (2)


Corporal Stanley Vincent Hill 195089 — ACTIVE SERVICE (World War I)

On September 10, 1915 Stanley Vincent Hill completed the Attestation Paper for enlistment in the Canadian Army, Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) Overseas in Peterborough, Ontario. He was 18 years, 1 month old when, as a single man, he was enlisted for the duration of the War. Stanley Vincent was born in Lakefield, Ontario and gave his birth-date as December 19, 1896. His File indicated he did not belong to the 46th Regiment, Active Militia for one year and that he had never served in a Military Force. There is nothing on his File to indicate where he was educated or to what level. Stanley Vincent indicated that he was a Student. He signed the Attestation Paper on September 10, 1915. He was 5′ 7″ tall, 37″ chest (expanded); his weight is not listed. He had a dark complexion with grey eyes and dark brown hair. Stanley Vincent’s Medical was done in Peterborough; his Medical Records indicate that he had scars on the outside of his right ankle, a mole on his right hip and was deemed fit for Overseas duty with the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF). Stanley Vincent’s next-of-kin was listed as his father, Albert Hill living in Lakefield, Ontario. Stanley Vincent Hill was taken on as a Private (Pte) with the 93rd Battalion (Bn) [Overseas], based in Peterborough, Ontario, on September 10, 1915 and was assigned Regimental Number 195089.

Pte Hill’s Military Records do not have any details for the 11 months and 3 weeks after his enlistment. Although not stated he would have been on training with the 93rd Bn in the Peterborough area in preparation to be sent Overseas. In July 1916 Pte Hill would have been transported, most likely by Rail Service to the Halifax, Nova Scotia area to prepare for embarkation. On July 1, 1916 Pte Hill made a pay assignment of $20.00 monthly to his mother, Mary Evelyn Hill.

July 15, 1916 Pte Hill embarked at Halifax, Nova Scotia aboard the SS Empress of Britain bound for England; July 25, 1916 Pte Hill disembarked at Liverpool, England. On August 29, 1916 he was attached to the Brigade Signals Base at Otterpool, England for Instruction. September 13, 1916 Pte Hill ceases to be attached to the Brigade Signals Base, is struck-off Course and returns to the 93rd Bn at Otterpool. On September 15, 1916 Pte Hill is struck-off-strength from the 93rd Bn on transfer to the *20th Bn Canadian Infantry (CI), in France. September 16, 1916 he is taken-on-strength with the 20th Bn CI in the Field from the 93rd Bn.

HillSt2 (2)

* The 20th Battalion (Central Ontario), CEF was a Unit of the First World War Canadian Expeditionary Force. It was composed of volunteers from militia units in Central Ontario. Much of the Unit was drawn from the 12th York Regiment, the Rangers, with men coming from ten other Militia Regiments — of which four still exist.
The 1st Central Ontario Regiment was part of the “Territorial Regiment System” that was created in Canada to recruit and provide basic training for the overseas Expeditionary Force after 1917. The 1st Ontario was part of the 12 “provincial regiments” that replaced the previous recruiting system which had been based upon raising a Battalion, either along some theme, or locality. Ontario had 1st Central, 2nd Central, Eastern Ontario and Western Ontario Regiments.

The Battle of Flers-Courcelette, September 15-22, 1916, was the third main phase of the Battle of the Somme. It is best known as the first tank battle in history, as it featured forty nine Mk I tanks (although not all of the tanks made it into battle).

The following was extracted from the September 1916 20th Bn War Diary entries. It details Pte Hill’s first experience in action with the 20th Bn in France:

On September 15, 1916, at 2:00 a.m., the 20th Bn left the Brigade and moved to the Front-Line via Walker Avenue Communication Trench (CT). The enemy was alert and there were many firing on the Communication Trench System (CTS) causing numerous casualties to the troops in the CT. The enemy was driven off and the 20th Bn was in position, waiting for an attack, at 5:00 a.m. At 6:24 a.m. the 20th Bn advanced and by 9:40 a.m. they were at the Courcelette Sugar Factory having taken 50 prisoners and 2 Officers, a Machine Gun and two Heavy and one Light Trench Howitzer. For the rest of September the 20th Bn was in action at a number of places in the area; casualties were relatively light.

On September 29, 1916 Pte Hill departed for the 2nd Canadian Engineer Bn in the Field and arrived there October 2, 1916. The same day, October 2, 1916 he departed for the 20th Bn and arrived there October 3, 1916. For the next year and 1 month Pte Hill’s Military Records do not have any details on movements, only dates of promotions, leave and an award are listed. September 4, 1917 Pte Hill was awarded a Good Conduct Badge. Although not stated he would have been on training and duty in the Field with the 20th Bn.

November 11, 1917 Pte Hill was granted 14 days Leave and returned to his Unit December 4, 1917. Pte Hill was appointed as a Lance Corporal (L/Cpl) on March 25, 1918 and then immediately appointed as an Acting Corporal (A/Cpl) the same day. On May 13, 1918 A/Cpl Hill was promoted to the rank of Corporal (Cpl).

Early August 1918 found the movements of the 20th Battalion cloaked with secrecy. Marches were made at night and orders to move were sudden. Eventually, it was revealed that the whole Canadian Corps would be taking part in a counter-attack near Amiens. “The great secret had been well maintained up to the last moment. The 6th and 7th of August, for the 20th Bn, were spent making detailed preparations for the Battle of Amiens to be initiated very early on the morning of August 8, 1918. The Battle of Amiens was the turning point in the War, the beginning of the end for the Central Powers. It began on 8 August 1918 and its spearhead was made up of the Canadian Corps and the Australian Corps.

Following is a transcript of the 20th Battalion’s action when Pte Hill was wounded:

AUGUST 7TH and 8TH 1918

AT CACHY August 7, 1918
Every one busy today in preparation for to-morrow’s show.
Several amendments to the origina1 Brigade order came in and meetings were held, and the
amendments carefully gone into. Battle equipment was issued during the day under the
supervision of the 2nd in Command.
At 9:30 p.m a limber came up from the rear to take back all surplus kit, etc.
The Battalion fell in at 10:30 p.m. and moved off to the assembly positions which were
reached in good time. Battalion Headquarters was established at U.5.c.15.40.

REAR DETAILS — BOUTILLERIE. The day was spent organizing parties, orderlies, liaison, etc.
to assist in the operations tomorrow.
A draft of 60 reinforcements was received from the Canadian Corps Reinforcement Camp
(CCRC) in France.
In the evening orders were received for an early move tomorrow.
Kits of the new draft, extra orderly room supplies, etc. were stored in billet
14 Rue de Cagny.

Notice was received by 2:45 a.m. that a1l companies were in their correct assembly
positions. The enemy was fairly active during the time we were waiting for zero hour, and
the Battalion had two killed and 5 wounded.
At 4:20 a.m. the barrage opened as arranged, and the Battalion jumped off closely behind
the 21st Canadian Battalion who were in support. A heavy fog prevailed which added to the
smoke of the barrage, made it impossible to see more than two or three yards in front of one.
This made it very difficult for the tanks, who lost direction and were not able to give the
support that had been expected. During the attack we found a number of men hiding in the
grain and in dugouts, and owing to the density of the fog, a number of the enemy were passed
by and were not discovered until they commenced firing at us from behind. The first objective
was reached without many casualties and the second objective, namely MARCELCAVE, was reached
without much further opposition. A large number of the enemy both dead and alive were found
in this place. Lieut. Richardson who was in charge of the Battalion scouts secured 20
prisoners in a German Headquarters. Just before reaching MARCELCAVE, Capt. Smith who was in
Command of “A” Company, had a 1ively bombing encounter in which the enemy were overcome, and
1 Officer and 12 men captured. A large number of Field Guns and Machine Guns were captured
by the Batta1ion.
Estimated casualties — 20 Other Ranks “killed”, and 3 Officers and 130 Other Rank “wounded”.
Battalion Headquarters were established at V,10.a.65.75.

During the Battle of Amiens, on August 8, 1918 Cpl Hill was wounded by shrapnel in his right knee just below his patella and was admitted, on August 9, 1918, to the 1st Canadian Field Ambulance (CFA) Unit, Casualty Clearing Station (CCS) in the Field. Then he was transferred to the No 3 Canadian General Hospital (CGH). August 11, 1918 Cpl Hill was struck-off-strength from No 3 CGH on posting to the 1st Central Ontario Regiment Depot (CORD) at Witley, England as an Invalid (Wd). He was transported via the A. T. Marguerite, a sea going vessel. August 13, 1918 Cpl Hill was admitted to No 3 General Military Hospital (GMH) at Edmonton, London, England and there his injury was diagnosed as a gunshot wound; non-penetrating the knee joint (a flesh wound).

August 19, 1918 Cpl Hill was taken-on-strength to the 1st CORD at Witley from No 3 GMH. Cpl Hill had been evacuated under urgent orders from the Director of Medical Services (DMS) Canadians; he required 3 to 4 weeks of Remedial Gymnastic (RG) treatment. August 29, 1918 Cpl Hill was seen at the Base Hospital, Wokingham, Berks, England and then was admitted August 30, 1918 to the Canadian Convalescent Hospital (CCH) at Bearwood, Wokingham, Berks. On September 5, 1918 he had an Xray at the 4th Canadian General
Hospital at Lasingstoke. September 9, 1918 Cpl Hill’s wound was healed; September 10, 1918 he was on Command to the 2nd Canadian Command Depot (CCD) at Bramshott. September 18, 1918 Cpl Hill was deemed well and was discharged from the CCH at Bearwood and will proceed to the 2nd CCD at Bramshott, England.

October 8, 1918 he ceased to be attached to the 2nd CCD at Bramshott, England and was attached to the 1st CCD. November 4, 1918 he ceases to be attached to the 1st CCD on proceeding to the 12th Reserve Bn at Witley. On November 5, 1918 he was taken-on-strength to the 12th Reserve Bn; then on November 17, 1918 Cpl Hill was transferred to the 20th Bn from the 12th Reserve Bn. November 18, 1918 he was taken-on-strength to the 20th Bn on arrival in France. November 20, 1918 Cpl Hill was struck-off-strength from the 20th Bn on transfer to the Canadian Corps Reinforcement Camp (CCRC) in France and taken-on-strength the same day.

January 9, 1919 Cpl Hill was transferred to the Canadian General Base Depot (CGBD) in England.
January 11, 1919 Cpl Hill was struck-off-strength from the CGBD on transfer to the 1st CORD in Witley. February 18, 1919 he is struck-off-strength from the 1st CORD to Military District (MD) 2 Wing in Rhyl, Witley. On February 25, 1919 Cpl Hill was struck-off-strength from MD 2 Wing to No 2 District Depot (DD), Toronto Ontario, Canada. He embarked from Liverpool, England February 25, 1919 and arrived at Halifax, Nova Scotia March 5, 1919 and was posted to the Casualty Clearing Centre (CCC) (Ex Camp), Toronto.

No Canadian Unit of the First World War has a prouder record of service. The 20th Battalion won a total of 18 Battle Honours and 398 decorations and awards, including two Vincentia Crosses. During the entire War, on no occasion was the Battalion ever driven out of its trenches by the enemy, nor did any Company, Platoon, or Section ever flee the battlefield. Altogether, 855 officers and men of the 20th Battalion died in the First World War. Over 60,000 Canadian men died in the First World War, one out of every eleven who served.

March 22, 1919 Cpl Hill was granted Discharge Leave and Subsistence Allowance. March 31, 1919 Cpl Hill’s assignment to his mother, Mary Evelyn Hill, was closed; he had provided $660.00 to his mother over the period that he was in the Service. His monthly pay was $31.00 in 1916 and $37.20 in 1919. Cpl Hill’s War Service Gratuity (WSG) added up to $574.20.

March 31, 1919 Corporal Stanley Vincent Hill was discharged from the Canadian Army, Overseas upon demobilization at No 2 DD, Toronto.

NOTE on his Documents:
Uniform is not to be worn after expiration of
one month from date of discharge, except by
special permission of General Officer Commanding (GOC).

Private Stanley Vincent Hill would have been in many battles with the 20th Canadian Infantry Battalion during his years of Service. Battles at Arras 1917, Vimy 1917, Hill 70 1917, Ypres 1917 and Passchendaele 1917 to name a few. See the Article following “The Queen’s York Rangers – The 20th CEF Battalion” for more insight into Battles that the 20th Bn was involved in.

Pte Hill served with the Canadian Army Expeditionary Force a total of 3 years, 6 months and 21 days: 11 months and 1 day in Canada; 8 months and 4 days in the UK; 1 year, 10 months and 26 days in France and 20 days travel time.
There is no reference, in Private Stanley Vincent Hill’s Military File indicating what Military Medals he was awarded but based on his Military Service he should have received:

British War Medal 1914 – 1920; and
Victory Medal.
He also qualified for War Service Badge CEF Class “A”.

An excerpt from an article in Maclean’s by Barbara Ameil, September 1996:

The Military is the single calling in the world with job specifications that include a commitment to die for your nation. What could be more honorable.

The Queen’s York Rangers – The 20th CEF Battalion

The Twentieth Canadian Battalion (Central Ontario Regiment); Canadian Expeditionary Force

The 20th CEF Battalion was authorized by the Privy Council on 6 August 1914 for service overseas and was mobilized on 7 November 1914 at the Exhibition Grounds, Toronto. It was raised from volunteers from the following Militia regiments of Central Ontario: 12th York Rangers; 20th Halton Rifles; 23rd Northern Pioneers; 31st Grey Regiment; 34th Ontario Regiment; 35th Simcoe Foresters; 36th Peel Regiment; 37th Dufferin Rifles; 39th Haldimand Rifles; 44th Lincoln and Welland Regiment; 77th Wentworth Regiment; and the 97th Algonquin Rifles.
France and Flanders
Upon arrival in France on 15 September 1915, the Battalion was assigned to the 4th Brigade, 2nd Division, Canadian Corps and given a section of the Front on the Ypres Salient, near Messines. Duty holding the line included: nightly strolling in no man’s land, endless repairs to wire and trenches, and almost continuous enemy shelling. The winter of 1915-16 was spent in a routine of 18 days on the Front and 6 days in the rear, all the while battling lice, trench foot, and disease. In March 1916, steel helmets were issued to all ranks.
In the spring of 1916, the Commander of the British Second Army decided that it was essential for an enemy salient near the village of St. Eloi to be eliminated. Following attacks and counter-attacks, the 4th Brigade tried to retake the craters that the 6th Brigade was forced to fall back from. The 20th Battalion managed to retake one crater and held it through a month of concentrated shelling. In one month, the 4th Brigade suffered 1373 casualties.
The Somme
On 15 September 1916 the Second Division joined the attack at the Somme, supported by tanks for the first time. The infantry captured three lines of trenches and reached their final objectives in just 40 minutes. The tanks, however, had broken down. Meanwhile, the 20th was trying to consolidate its position despite taking machine gun fire from both flanks.
Early October brought heavy rain and a second attack at the Somme. Under heavy shelling, the 20th captured two lines of trenches in close combat, mainly with grenades and bayonets. In both these actions, the 20th captured all of their objectives and held them until relieved, but at a cost of 111 killed and 319 wounded in only three weeks.
The winter of 1916-1917 was spent holding different parts of the line, patrolling, and carrying out trench raids. One particularly large raid was carried out on the morning of 17 January 1917. On this raid, in 90 minutes, the Battalion took 57 prisoners, including one officer, captured one mortar piece, and destroyed 35 deep dugouts, two bomb stores, and two mortar pieces. Two officers and thirty men of the enemy were counted dead, besides an indeterminate number killed inside dugouts. Our casualties were two officers wounded, 27 other ranks killed, 51 wounded and one missing.

Vimy Ridge
Spring of 1917 found the Canadian Corps preparing to take Vimy Ridge as a part of the Battle of Arras. The ridge had been in the hands of the Germans since the early days of the War and provided them with good observation on our rear area, while denying us a view of the wide Douai Plain behind it. The French made an unsuccessful attempt to take the ridge in May 1915. They tried again in September 1915, and this time got as far as the second trench lines. These positions were consolidated by the British but were lost to German counterattacks in May 1916. Vimy was one of the most heavily defended points on the whole Western Front.
The Second Division attacked in the direction of Farbus, on an initial frontage of 1500 yards and a final frontage of 2500 yards. The total depth was 3500 yards. The attack went in on 9 April 1917 with the 4th Brigade right, the 5th Brigade left, and the 6th Brigade and the 13th Imperial Brigade moving through the lead brigades to capture depth objectives. The 20th Battalion attacked in right depth of the 4th Brigade, mopping up the enemy still holed up in trenches and craters, taking prisoners and collecting maps and documents. During the attack, contact was lost with the 5th Brigade troops on the left, a gap filled by C Company of the 20th. This company also captured a German Field Gun at the entrance to Thélus.
The attack was a complete success. The Canadian Corps captured the entire ridge, a stunning achievement that many in the High Command had declared impossible, but which proved the worth of Canadian troops. Casualties of the 20th Battalion were relatively light, i.e. under one hundred, of whom only six were killed. This was, unfortunately, not true of the Canadian Corps as whole.

Hill 70
After Vimy, the Battalion spent the summer in intensive training exercises, learning the new principles of fire and movement. On 15 August 1917, the Canadians began their attack on Hill 70, where Sgt Hobson won his Victoria Cross. This German wireless report of 18 August 1917 was referred to by the Corps Commander, Lieutenant-General Sir Arthur Currie, when he visited the Battalion: “In Artois, the British by destructive fire lasting for four weeks have turned the foremost German positions into a shell hole area like that in Flanders. . . . They engaged the whole of their four Canadian Divisions. The Canadians, whom the British Higher Command always employs for the most difficult and costly fighting, advanced with obstinate bravery during the whole day against the German positions. . . .”

For some time rumours – which were hoped false – had whispered that a number of units of the Canadian Corps were on their way to Passchendaele. . . . One morning, the Battalion were ordered to fall in very hurriedly and mysteriously, without any of the usual preliminaries. Then Lieut.-Gen. Sir Arthur Currie appeared and ordered the ranks to close in around him. He made a speech, characteristically brief and to the point, saying that although he had begged the Commander-in-Chief to spare the Canadians the ordeal of Passchendaele, his plea had been refused because pressure on the enemy must be maintained. The Passchendaele Ridge had to be captured, for reasons he was unable to divulge, and for that task the Canadians had been chosen.
The terrible conditions of Passchendaele are legendary. All features of the landscape were completely obliterated, leaving nothing behind but water-filled shell craters, trenches like drainage ditches, and endless mud. There were hardly roads left, or even solid ground. Board walks were constructed to make movement possible, but were frequently destroyed in the constant enemy artillery bombardment. The bodies of men and horses were left unburied to rot in the muck.
When the Battalion was finally relieved, the struggle to get out was so great that many of the walking wounded died of exhaustion. “The memory of it is still horrible. Never had been experienced such general suffering from shelling, aircraft activity by day and night, such weather and ground conditions.” The Canadian Corps captured two square miles at Passchendaele, suffering 16,404 casualties. Following Passchendaele, the 20th saw action at Cambrai and then spent a relatively quiet winter, holding trenches in the Vimy area and patrolling. The collapse of Russia in November 1917 was bad news for the allies. The Germans could now divert many more divisions to the Western Front for a large attack before American troops arrived at the Front. When the first attacks came in March, it was disastrous for the Allies; the British were unable to hold their ground and were driven back almost to Amiens. That summer, the 20th relieved British troops who were exhausted from the constant pressure of the Germans.

Canada’s Hundred Days
Early August 1918 found the movements of the 20th Battalion cloaked with secrecy. Marches were made at night and orders to move were sudden. Eventually, it was revealed that the whole Canadian Corps would be taking part in a counter-attack near Amiens. “The great secret had been well maintained up to the last moment; the Germans would naturally expect an attack on any Front where they found the Canadian Corps, which had been held in reserve during the fighting in March.”
The Battle of Amiens was the turning point in the War, the beginning of the end for the Central Powers. It began on 8 August 1918 and its spearhead was made up of the Canadian Corps and the Australian Corps. On the first day, the Second Canadian Division advanced an unbelievable eight miles. On the second day, they made another advance of 5000 yards. Ludendorff, the German Commander-in-Chief, in his memoirs called 8 August “the black day of the German Army”. The Battalion met with more success at Arras, later that same month. These gains, however, exacted a heavy toll on the Battalion; casualties during the month of August 1918 totaled 18 officers and 563 other ranks.
While the Allies had finally managed to win ground and build momentum, the Germans also continued to resist fiercely. On 10-12 October 1918, the Battalion found itself exploiting bridgeheads across the Canal de l’Escaut. In 42 hours of almost incessant fighting there were casualties of 11 officers and 319 other ranks. It was here that Lt W.L. Algie won his Victoria Cross.
The fighting continued in the Pursuit to Mons up until the last moments of the War. In the last 24 hours before the armistice, the Battalion lost one officer and 11 other ranks killed, and 30 other ranks wounded. Also, the 20th captured the last prisoner taken by a Canadian unit, at 10 A.M. on 11 November 1918, at Mons.
No Canadian unit of the First World War has a prouder record of service. The 20th Battalion won a total of 18 Battle Honours and 398 decorations and awards, including two Victoria Crosses. During the entire War, on no occasion was the Battalion ever driven out of its trenches by the enemy, nor did any company, platoon, or section ever flee the battlefield. Altogether, 855 officers and men of the 20th Battalion died in the First World War. Over 60,000 Canadian men died in the First World War, one out of every eleven who served. Following the armistice, the 20th marched 280 miles from Mons and crossed the Rhine at Bonn on 13 December 1918 with colours flying and bayonets fixed, reviewed by General Sir Arthur Currie. They finally took up their post as part of the Army of Occupation in Siegburg, 16 miles south-east of Cologne. The Battalion returned to England on 7 April 1919, and received colours from HRH the Duke of Connaught on 25 April 1919. They participated in the Victory Parade of Dominion Troops in London on 3 May and departed for Canada on 13 Mar 1919.

The 19th and 20th Battalions arrived at the North Toronto station of the CPR (now Summerhill Subway Station) on 24 May 1919 and marched to an official reception in Varsity Stadium: “Police were powerless to stem the rush of friends and relatives who had been waiting the arrival of the two Battalions for what seemed hours on hours… The speeches of welcome were never delivered… the Battalion dismissed itself.” The following day, the 20th CEF. Battalion was officially demobilized.
At the request of the officers and men of the Battalion, the Unit was perpetuated as an active Unit of the Canadian Militia as the West Toronto Regiment on 15 September 1921. On 1 August 1925, The West Toronto Regiment was amalgamated with the 2nd Battalion, 12th York Rangers to form the Queen’s Rangers. In 1936, the 1st Battalion, 12th York Rangers was amalgamated with the Queen’s Rangers to form the Queen’s York Rangers, 1st American Regiment, which perpetuates the 20th Battalion to this day.



Stanley Vincent Hill was born in Lakefield on December 19, 1896, the oldest child of Albert Vincent “Tiny” Hill and Mary Evelyn Doidge. He was raised in Lakefield and received his education there.

By 1925 Stanley has moved to the United States and according to the 1925 US Census, was living as a lodger in Buffalo, New York. Stanley Vincent Hill died in Buffalo, New York on January 25, 1944.

Stanley Vincent Hill’s paternal grandparents; Richard Hill, born November 19, 1819 in England and Elizabeth Langstaff, born May 4, 1823, in England. They married about 1842 in Canada, possibly in Dummer Township, Peterborough County, Ontario. Richard and Elizabeth had 10 children, 6 boys and 4 girls; Thomas Richard – born February 14, 1843, George Ulysses – born March 13, 1852, Sarah – born about 1855, Samuel Alexander born October 24, 1856, Jane T. – born about 1858, Agnes Annie – born August 12, 1861, Charles Roland – born about 1862, Wellington John – born April 15, 1864, Albert Vincent – born August 18, 1869, and Ellen – born about 1874. Both Richard died February 7, 1902 and Elizabeth died December 17, 1902. Both died at 7 S. Bridge St., Lakefield and both are interred in Hillside Cemetery, Lakefield Ontario.
Stanley Vincent Hill’s maternal grandparents were William Doidge born December 18, 1848 and Mary Maria Veale, born February 18, 1848. They lived on Chippewa Street in Lakefield and had a family of six children – Mary Evelyn, born October 5, 1872, William Albert, born April 25, 1874, Ernest Herbert, born February 3, 1878, George Alfred, born April 29, 1880, Alice born July 24, 1882, and Clara Doidge, born October 3, 1884. William Doidge passed away on September 21, 1929 and Mary died on February 17, 1934; both are buried in the Lakefield Cemetery.

Stanley Hill’s parents Albert Vincent “Tiny” Hill was born in Lakefield on August 18, 1869 and Mary
Evelyn Doidge, born in Douro Township on October 5, 1872. Albert Vincent Hill, 27 and Mary Evelyn Doidge, 23 were married in Lakefield on January 8, 1896 by Reverend William Limbert. Albert and Mary made their home at 7 Bridge Street in Lakefield. There they raised four children – Stanley Vincent, born December 19, 1896, Alice Evelyn, born February 15, 1899, Mary Elizabeth born October 12, 1902 and Doris Edythe, born September 26, 1905. Albert Vincent was raised in Lakefield and spent his entire life in the Village. Albert Hill owned and operated a grocery store in the Village for over 40 years. Mary Hill passed away on April 23, 1944 and Albert passed away on May 25, 1945; both are buried in Lakefield Cemetery.
In 1901 Albert “Tiny” Vincent and Mary Evelyn Hill were living in Lakefield with their two children; Stanley Vincent, born December 19, 1896 and Alice Evelyn, born in Lakefield February 15, 1899.
In 1911 Mary Evelyn Hill, the Head of the family, was living at 7 Bridge Street, Lakefield with her four children; Stanley Vincent, Alice Evelyn, Mary Elizabeth, and Doris Edith. Albert’s brother Alexander and a 16-year old domestic, Emma Rowe were also living there.
Albert Vincent was a lodger at Queen Street, Battleford Saskatchewan when the 1911 Census was taken. He was boarding with George Alfred and Belle Doidge; Albert Vincent’s brother and sister-in-law; Stanley Vincent Hill’s uncle and aunt. Albert Vincent was working as a Salesman in a General Store with George Alfred. Clara Belle Hazlitt was born July 1885 in the USA; she immigrated to Canada in 1886.