Quinn, Wellington

QuinnWe (2)


Private Wellington Quinn – 195192 — ACTIVE SERVICE (World War I)

On September 11, 1915 Wellington Quinn completed the Attestation Paper for the Canadian Army, Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) in Peterborough, Ontario. He was 20 years, 4 months old when, as a single man, he enlisted for the duration of the War. Wellington was born in and lived in Lakefield, Ontario and gave his birth-date as May 10, 1895. He indicated that he did not presently belong to an Active Militia but had served for 1 year with the 46th Regiment, Durham. There is nothing on Wellington’s File to indicate where he was educated or to what level (it is expected that he was educated in Lakefield). As far as his Trade or Calling is concerned, he lists Clerk. Wellington was 5′ 7” tall, with a 37” chest (expanded) and he weighed 131 pounds; he had a fair complexion with blue eyes and light brown hair. Wellington’s Medical Examination was completed September 11, 1915 in Peterborough. He had a 2″ linear scar in front of his left ear but no significant medical issues or physical limitations and was deemed fit for Overseas duty with the CEF. His next-of-kin was listed as his father, Mr. Archibald Quinn living in Lakefield with his wife Agnes. Wellington Quinn signed the Oath and Certificate of Attestation on September 11, 1915 in Peterborough. He was taken-on-strength with the 93rd Overseas Battalion (O/S Bn), CEF as a Private (Pte) and was assigned Service Number 195192.

Pte Quinn’s File doesn’t have any record of the 10 months between September 1915 and July 1916. Following normal Military procedures he would have undergone Basic and Advanced Military Training with the 93rd O/S Bn. This training would have covered Military Law, discipline, marching, saluting, cleaning kit, rifle, etc. Advanced Training would have included mortars, grenades, machine guns, map reading and so on. July 1, 1916 Pte Quinn made a monthly Pay Assignment of $20.00 to his mother Mrs. Agnes Quinn. On July 15, 1916 he embarked Halifax, Nova Scotia on the SS Empress of Britain bound for England.

QuinnWe 2 (2)

July 25, 1916 Pte Quinn disembarked at Liverpool, England and on the same day Pte Quinn was appointed to Acting Lance Corporal (A/L/Cpl) with pay at Otterpool, England. A/L/Cpl Quinn’s records don’t cover the 2 months from July 25, to October 5, 1916; he would have been training and doing assigned duties with the 93rd Bn. October 5, 1916 A/L/Cpl Quinn was struck-off-strength from the 93rd Bn to the 97th Bn at Otterpool. October 6, 1916 he was taken-on-strength to the 97th Bn at Otterpool. October 30, 1916 A/L/Cpl was struck-off-strength from the 97th Bn at Seaford, England. October 31, 1916 A/L/Cpl Quinn was taken-on-strength to the 39th Bn at West Sandling. November 1, 1916 A/L/Cpl Quinn was struck-off-strength from the 39th Bn and taken-on-strength to the 6th Res Bn at West Sandling, England.

January 5, 1917 A/L/Cpl Quinn reverted to the Rank of Private on his own request and was transferred and taken-on-strength to the 75th Bn at West Sandling. January 6, 1917 Pte Quinn and the 75 Bn embarked England and disembarked France and was taken-on-strength with the Canadian Base Depot (CBD) in the Field as reinforcements. January 10, 1917 Pte Quinn departed from the CBD en route to the 75th Bn in the Field. January 13, 1917 he joined the 75th Bn in the Field.

11 MONTH DATA GAP Accessing “War diaries – 75th Canadian Infantry Battalion” will provide additional data on daily movements, etc. which is overly excessive for this project. Note: many of the pages are difficult to read.

December 10, 1917 Pte Quinn was granted 14 days Leave; he returned to the 75th Bn on December 27, 1917

09 MONTH DATA GAP Accessing “War diaries – 75th Canadian Infantry Battalion” will provide additional data on daily movements, etc. which is overly excessive for this project. Note: many of the pages are difficult to read. No specifics on Pte Quinn were note.
September 2, 1918 Pte Quinn was wounded by shrapnel at Arras, France. The No 11 Canadian Field Ambulance (CFA) provided immediate First Aid and transported Pte Quinn to the No 23 Casualty Clearing Station (CCS) the same day where the wound was dressed. September 3, 1918 Pte Quinn was admitted to the 83rd General Hospital at Boulogne, France. September 4, 1918 Pte Quinn was discharged from the 83rd General Hospital; struck-off-strength from the 75th Bn and taken-on-strength to the 1st Central Ontario Region Depot (CORD) at Witley, no ship name was indicated

Pte Quinn had a compound fracture behind his right ear (the entry point) and an exit wound at his left nostril; the shrapnel also removed 7 teeth. On September 5, 1918 he was admitted to Queen’s Hospital at Sidcup, Kent. September 14, 1918 Pte Quinn had an operation to improve his breathing; the procedure was successful. March 19 to 26, 1919 Pte Quinn had dentures fitted to replace the teeth destroyed by the wound. April 1, 1919 he had an operation to close a salivary fistula; the procedure was successful. Pte Quinn was granted a Furlough from April 14 to 28, 1919. Address while on Furlough is Mr. J.B. Christie, Gerrards Cross Buckinghamshire, England.

May 5, 1919 Pte Quinn’s Medical History of an Invalid is completed and he is to be Invalided to Canada. He was struck-off-strength from Queen’s Hospital on transfer to the Canadian General Hospital at Orpington, England.

May 7, 1919 Pte Quinn is breathing freely through his nose; no discharge; the Salivary Fistula is healed and there is practically no scarring; he was struck-off-strength from Queen’s Hospital to Sidcup, England to wait to be Invalided to Canada.

May 21, 1919 Pte Quinn was taken-on-strength to District Depot (DD) No 4, Montréal Québec from 1st CORD at Ripon. The same day Pte Quinn is Invalided to Canada from Orpington, England; he was struck-off-strength from Canada (UK) to Canada (AF) from 1st CORD, Ripon, England. He embarked May 21, 1919 aboard the Hospital Ship Araguaya and disembarked at Montréal May 30, 1919. May 31, 1919 the Pay Assignment to Mrs. Agnes Quinn was closed. From June 1 to July 28, 1919 Pte Quinn was at the St. Anne de Bellevue Military Hospital, Montréal Québec. On July 30, 1919 Pte Quinn was struck-off-strength from the Military Hospital, Montréal and discharged on demobilization and being Medically Unfit for General Service.

QuinnWe 4 (2)

There is no mention in Private Wellington Quinn’s File with regards to what Military Medals he was eligible to receive or was awarded. Based on his Military Service, he was awarded the:

British War Medal; and
Victory Medal.
He would have also received the CEF Class “A” War service Badge.

Based on his Military File, Private Wellington Quinn served a total of 3 years, 10 months and 19 days with the Canadian Expeditionary Force: 1 year, 3 days in Canada, 1 year, 2 months in England, 1 year, 8 months in France plus 17 days of travel time.
An excerpt from an article in Maclean’s Magazine by Barbara Ameil, September 1996:

The Military is the single calling in the world with job specifications that include a commitment to die for your country. What could be more honourable?



Wellington Quinn was born in Lakefield on May 10, 1895, the son of Archibald “Archie” Quinn and Agnes Duff. He received his education in the Lakefield Public Schools and by 1915 he went to Peterborough and enlisted to serve his King and country.

After his return from the War, Wellington went to work in Brampton as a telegrapher clerk and there he met Doris Clare Tate, daughter of Percy George Tate and Blanche Caroline Turner. They married in Brampton, Ontario on August 31, 1921. Wellington Quinn passed away in the Leamington Memorial Hospital on February 27, 1968.


Wellington Quinn’s paternal great-grandparents were Christopher and Eleanor Quinn. His maternal great grandparents were Archibald Shearer and Agnes Blackstock.

Wellington Quinn’s paternal grandparents were Christopher Quinn and Janet Shearer. Christopher was born in Ireland in 1824 and Janet Shearer was born in Scotland in 1836. They came to Canada and settled in Smith Township. Janet died in Lakefield on November 12, 1905 and Christopher passed away on April 23, 1909; both are buried in Lakefield Cemetery.

Wellington Quinn’s maternal grandparents were Samuel J. Duff and Jane McCullough. Samuel was born in Ireland in 1818 and Jane was born in Ireland in 1820. They came to Canada and settled on an area farm. They had a family of six children: Mary Jane, Samuel John, Elizabeth “Eliza” Ann, Isabella, Robert and Agnes Duff. Samuel and Jane retired to the village of Lakefield and residing at 24 William Street. Samuel died on November 6, 1866 and Jane passed away on May 10, 1903; both are buried in Lakefield Cemetery.

Wellington Quinn’s parents were Archibald “Archie” Quinn and Agnes Duff. They married in Lakefield on March 6, 1889 and made their home on a farm on the 9th Line of Smith Township. They had a family of four children: Hazel Isabella, Wellington, Mary Jane and Edith Janet Quinn. By 1911 Archie and Janet had moved into the village of Lakefield residing at 10 Bridge Street and Archie was working at a local saw mill. Agnes died on March 5, 1929 and Archie passed away on April 26, 1936; both are buried in the Lakefield Cemetery.