Taylor, George



Private George Taylor – C 600435 — NRMA (World War II)

George Taylor was 23 years, 3 weeks old when, as a single man, he enrolled under the Militia Act; National Resources Mobilization Act (NRMA) 1940, in Kingston Ontario on June 19, 1941. His NRMA Serial Number of Notice of Call was C-19355. George, a North American Native Indian, resided at Curve Lake, Ontario and stated that he was born in Ontario on April 28, 1918. He was 5′ 10″ tall, weighed 145 pounds, brown eyes, black hair, he had scars on both legs and gave his occupation as farming. He indicated that he had no previous military experience and preferred the Navy. George’s next-of-kin was his father Mr. Dow Taylor, living at Curve Lake. On June 19, 1941 he was assigned the rank of Private; given Regimental Number C 600435 and was attached to the Basic Training Centre (BTC) No 32 at Peterborough, Ontario. July 10, 1941 Pte Taylor completed the Basic Training was struck-off-strength from the NRMA upon joining the Active Force.

Gunner George Taylor – C 42843 — ACTIVE SERVICE (World War II)

George Taylor was 21 years (date of birth changed) and 3 weeks old when, as a single man, he was Attested in Peterborough Ontario July 9, 1941 into the Active Force with No 3A District Depot (DD) at Kingston Ontario. George resided at Curve Lake, Ontario and stated that he was born in Ontario on April 28, 1920. He was 5′ 10″ tall, weighed 136 pounds, brown eyes, dark brown hair, 36″ chest and gave his trade as a farmer. George spoke both English and Chippewa. George’s next-of-kin was his mother Eva Taylor, living at Curve Lake. He indicated that he had no previous military experience although he was with the Militia Act, National Resources Mobilization Act from June 19, 1941 to July 9, 1941. On July 9, 1941 he was assigned the rank of Gunner (Gnr); given Regimental Number C 42843 and taken-on-strength to District Depot (DD) 3A, Active Force (AF), as reinforcements, Royal Canadian Artillery (RCA), Kingston and attached for all purposes to the Canadian Army (Basic) Training Centre [CA(B)TC] No 32 at Peterborough, Ontario. George Taylor’s Medical Examination was done in Peterborough on July 9, 1941 at the CA(B)TC No 32; he had scars on his left leg and was found fit for duty.

July 12, 1941 Gnr Taylor was attached for all purposes, including pay, to CA(B)TC No 32 at Peterborough, Ontario. On August 25, 1941, after 6 weeks of Basic Training, he ceased to be attached to CA(B)TC No 32, Peterborough from DD 3A (AF), Kingston on transfer to the 3rd Field Battery, RCA Gananoque, Ontario. August 26, 1941 Gnr Taylor ceased to be attached to CA(B)TC No 32, Peterborough on return to DD 3A (AF). Also on August 26, 1941 he is struck-off-strength from DD No 3A (AF) on transfer to 3rd Field Battery (Fld Batt), RCA, Gananoque. August 27, 1941 Gnr Taylor was taken-on-strength from DD No 3A (AF) to the 3rd Fld Batt, RCA at Gananoque. Then, a little over 4 months later, on December 1, 1941 he was taken-on-strength with the 18th Field Regiment (Fld Regt) RCA at Sussex, New Brunswick, still with the 3rd Fld Batt. On December 28, 1941 Gnr Taylor was granted a 21-day Furlough from which he returned from on January 17, 1942. Sometime before February 17, 1942 Gnr Taylor had been transferred to the 5th Anti-Tank Regiment (A/Tk Regt).

On February 17, 1942 Gnr Taylor was struck-off-strength from the 3rd Fld Batt, 5th A/Tk Regt and taken-on-strength with the 2nd Medium Regiment (Med Regt) in Petawawa, Ontario for all purposes on transfer. After a little more than a month of training in Petawawa, on March 19, 1942, Gnr Taylor was struck-off-strength from the Canadian Army – Canada on embarkation from Halifax, Nova Scotia. He was taken-on-strength with the Canadian Army – Overseas on transfer with effect from (wef) March 20, 1942. Gnr Taylor disembarked in the United Kingdom (UK) March 29, 1942 and was attached to No 3 Canadian Artillery Reinforcement Unit (CARU) for rations and quarters wef March 30, 1942.

Gnr Taylor, still part of the 2nd Med Regt, was granted 7 days Privileged Leave from July 9 to 16, 1942; 9 days Privileged Leave from November 2 to 11, 1942 and 9 days Privileged Leave from February 1 to 10, 1943. On June 1, 1943he received an increase of Regimental Pay to $1.50 per day and was awarded the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal and Clasp. On October 24, 1943 Gnr Taylor was struck-off-strength from the Canadian Army (UK) on embarkation to Italy. Gnr Taylor’s records do not provide any information about what he did in the UK for 1 year and 7 months before heading to Italy. There was certainly a lot of time for training. October 25, 1943 Gnr Taylor was taken-on-strength with the Allied Armies Italy (AAI) as a member of the Canadian Mediterranean Force (CMF). On November 8, 1943 he disembarked Italy and joined the 2nd Med Regt, part of the CMF. July 9, 1943 Gnr Taylor was awarded his 1st Good Conduct Badge.

June 21, 1944 Gnr Taylor was admitted to No 14 General Hospital, located North of Rome in Peruga, (no diagnoses given) and discharged from No 14 General Hospital on July 4, 1944. September 14, 1944 Gnr Taylor was admitted to No 103 British General Hospital and discharged from that hospital September 20, 1944.Somewhere along the way Gnr Taylor was posted to the X4 List because on October 2, 1944 he was moved from the X4 List to the X10 List on admission to the No 15 Canadian General Hospital (CGH). His records do not give the date of his discharge from No 15 CGH. Then, on October 4, 1944 he was posted from the X10 List to the X3 List and on October 26, 1944 Gnr Taylor was struck-off-strength from the X4 List (he must have been moved to the X4 List from the X3 List before this date) to the 2nd Med Regt AAI. October 27, 1944 he was taken-on-strength to the 2nd Med Regt AAI.

On March 11, 1945 Gnr Taylor embarked Italy for France and disembarked France on March 13, 1945. June 13, 1945 Gnr Taylor volunteered for the Canadian Far East Force (CFEF). On June 17, 1945 Gnr Taylor was found dead in Holland and a Court of Inquiry determined that he had died of accidental asphyxia. Gunner George Taylor was buried in the Nijmegen Canadian Military Temporary Cemetery, Plot 3, Row 8, Grave 18. June 30, 1945 the Canadian Message was dispatched to Gnr Taylor’s mother (next-of-kin) Mrs. Eva Taylor at Curve Lake, Ontario with information of George’s demise and burial reference. July 6, 1945 the Royal Message was dispatched to Gnr Taylor mother (next-of-kin). At a later date Gunner Taylor was exhumed and reburied in the Groesbeek Canadian War Cemetery, Netherlands. Grave Reference IV, Row A, Plot 9.

Although not in his Military File, Gnr Taylor probably had been sending his mother $20.00 monthly on assignment.

Gnr Taylor was awarded the following medals:
1939 – 45 Star;
Italy Star;
France and Germany Star;
Defence Medal;
Canadian Volunteer Service Medal with Bar and
War Medal, 1939 – 45.
He was also awarded War Service Badge – Class “A”

George Taylor served for about 8 months in Canada, about 1 year, 7 months in the United Kingdom, about 1 year and 4 months in Italy and 3 months in the Western European Theatre of War for a total time of 3 years, 11 months and 1 week (including travel time).
“Pte. Taylor, George 2nd Med Regt RCA” is inscribed in the BOOK OF REMEMBRANCE 1945 on page 569.

Private Taylor’s Memorial Cross was sent to Mrs. Eva Taylor, Curve Lake, Ontario in 1945. The Memorial Bar was sent to Mrs. Eva Taylor c/o Superintendent, Rice & Mud Lakes Indian Agency, 385 Water Street, Peterborough, Ontario.
An excerpt from an article in McLean’s magazine by Barbara Amiel, September 1996:

The military is the single calling in the world with job specifications that include a commitment to die for your nation. What could be more honorable?





George was born April 20, 1920 at Curve Lake, Ontario, the son of Dow & Eva Taylor. George enjoyed hunting and fishing; he completed Grade 7 before going to work. George also spoke English and Chippewa.

During the Summers George worked as a guide for tourists but his main occupation was as a hunter and trapper from 1935 to 1941. He also worked for D. Whetung as a labourer in the General Store for 10 years. In 1929 he worked for six months as a driller on highway construction for Crawley and McCracken of Burleigh Falls, Ontario. He also had limited farming experience harvesting in Central Ontario. During the Winters George worked in Lumbering Camps as a Copper and Sawyer (axe and cross-cut saw work) from 1926 to 1942 for Mr. R. Reid of Bobcaygeon, Ontario.

George enjoyed swimming, fishing and he played softball in a field position. Prior to enlisting George provided $20.00 monthly to his father to help out with expenses.


George’s paternal grandfather, George Taylor was born about 1858 in Ontario married Amelia Howard, born about 1863 and according to the 1911 Census they had seven children; James, Lorenzo Dow, Albert, Madden, Adeline, Margaret and Ashley.

George’s parents, Lorenzo Dow and Eva Taylor were married on the Mud Lake Indian Reserve (Curve Lake), Ontario in 1913. Dow and Eva had two sons, George and Benjamin and a daughter Hazel, married to a McCue, all born at Curve Lake. There was also a step-child; Wallis Blaker in the family. In addition there were also 4 children who had passed away: Reginald, Fredereck and Lorings Taylor plus Moira Menagus. All family members were born at Curve Lake, Ontario.
The Taylor family descended from the Ojibwe (also Ojibwa), Anishinaabe, or Chippewa who are one of the largest groups of Native American and First Nations Peoples on the North American continent. In Canada, they are the second-largest population among First Nations, surpassed only by the Cree. Ojibwe who were originally located along the Mississagi River and made their way to southern Ontario are known as the Mississaugas to which the people of Curve Lake are members.
(From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)